The relationship between an agency and a client should be rooted in shared goals and open communication. Gain insight into the stages of building a lasting relationship with a client, through helpful tips for establishing trust and communicating effectively.
The First Impression
As an Adpearance Account Director who works closely with our clients each day, I’ve found it’s important to remind myself where the client-agency relationship first began. My peers in account direction have been my guiding light for giving me ideas on how to create and maintain client relationships, but before you can even have these relationships, you must first earn their trust by establishing a solid foundation of client and industry understanding.
As demonstrated by a recent report from Domus and Harris Interactive,
Businesses expect the marketing and advertising agencies they employ to do a bit of everything, from properly understanding current objectives to presenting ideas and solutions beyond the conventional.
Understanding client expectations and effectively communicating roles, responsibilities, tasks, milestones, timelines, and more can help lay the groundwork for a solid partnership in the early stages of relationship development.
As client communicators, not only do we spend 90% of our days actively working with our clients, the other 10% is spent talking internally about how we are going to improve each client’s account and unique marketing objectives.
Each month, we sit down with the client and go over numbers, answer questions, and implement new strategies to strengthen campaigns. With each meeting we are continually expanding and evolving our relationship with the client and thinking of new ways to improve our partnership and grow their business. We want to encourage them to ask questions, challenge us, and ultimately respect us as experts in the field.
Unfortunately, for a percentage of business owners this can be difficult to achieve.
Domus and Harris Interactive additionally found that while a good portion of businesses feel their agencies are equally committed to their success, 30% considered agencies to be just another expense.
At Adpearance, we strive to make sure that 100% of those enrolled with us know we truly care and are interested by what they bring to the table. Working with each client to understand the ins and outs of their business, industry, and sales process, we are motivated by establishing ourselves as a committed partner month after month.
Each team at Adpearance is committed to meeting each client’s needs fully. This includes proactively delivering new ideas, identifying and recommending solutions to any current or foreseeable issues, and monitoring campaign health on a regular basis—not just the day before a phone call or meeting. We are thoroughly invested in the current and future happiness of our clients and once we have established shared goals we can work toward, the conversations, and relationships, only get better.
It is a lovely thing to find happiness in your job, and though there will always be days that are harder than others, we always pull through thanks to our colleagues and clients who make Adpearance what it is.